Thursday, March 15, 2007

More on HPV vaccine

Okay, I've read enough now to change my opinion about this vaccine. At first I was all for it, but after reading about it more thoroughly, I've changed my mind. If I had a teen daughter, she would not be getting this vaccine yet.

Here's another article to consider.

A researcher who worked on a vaccine for the human papillomavirus is warning that it hasn't been tested on young girls, is "silly" for states to mandate the vaccination, and in a worst-case scenario could even increase cervical cancer rates.

In a report published by the Indiana-based Daily News, researcher Diane M. Harper said giving such a vaccine to 11-year-olds "is a great big public health experiment."

Further, she said, requiring vaccinations now "is simply to Merck's benefit."
At a cost estimated at $360-$400 per child, Merck's gonna made a bundle if they can get the government to mandate the vaccine.