Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Godless coins


Atheists should like this bit of news. The first George Washington dollars in circulation were without the words "In God We Trust".

Evidently a flaw.

My sister actually got a hold of some of these coins and gave me one. Sure enough, no mention of God on those suckers.

I don't know what the big deal is about those four words, but it sure antagonizes certain groups. I'm almost at the point where I don't care whether the phrase is put on coins or not. Why raise such a ruckus about words that were not even originally on the coins? Sometimes little issues like this can cause more harm to Christianity than good. Of course, the majority of Americans trust in God, but do we have to put it on our money to prove that point? Our actions toward others is much more important than four words on a coin.