Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Mom strike comes to an end

Jon Voisey’s latest post reminded me that I never wrote about the end of my Mom strike.

The week before last, I finally relented and decided to put an end to the insanity. Hubby and I got things cleaned up and back to normal while our kids were out of the house one Saturday.

In the end, I think the strike was very beneficial in helping them see how much I really do around the house. I let things go long enough that the place was trashed and hubby started getting after the boys to pick up after themselves. I’m usually the one nagging at everyone to help keep things cleaned up, but now he’s after them more often. The boys are better about doing things when asked, and they are keeping up with taking out the trash, etc.. I hope it lasts for a while.

One weird thing has resulted since the strike. Hubby had been showing the boys how to do laundry and they were ~trying~ to keep up with it. But, now he has decided that we are going to conserve energy and hang the clothes instead of putting them in the dryer! I kid you not. I have towels, jeans, and sheets hanging all along the banister of my staircase and there are clothes hanging everywhere in the laundry room. Bizzare. But, as long as the guy keeps helping with the laundry what do I care how he dries it?

So, all in all, I think it was a good idea and it didn’t backfire too badly. I’ll merely have to walk through curtains of wet clothes until he gets over his conservation kick.