Friday, January 12, 2007

Mom Strike

Well, I went and did it....I've been officially on Mom strike since last Sunday. The list of chores my men made for themselves are still sitting on the cabinet and they don't keep up with them by any means, but there has been somewhat of an attempt to talk amongst themselves about the things that they should be doing that are on the list.

Since Sunday, I've been keeping a portion of the basement (excluding the kid's play area) and my bedroom clean. When I spend time in other areas of the house I only pick up after myself. It's been interesting to see how much I pick up after them each week. The house is pretty much a wreck. Laundry is piling up in the laundry room and on the floors where the kids drop their clothes. The dishes aren't usually done, but they attempt to load and unload the dishwasher occasionally (out of pure necessity). My youngest had quite a dilemma before school yesterday because there were no clean jeans to wear. What a shame.

I don't think this strike is getting me anywhere though, because from what I understand, they seem to think the house looks fine. Sigh...

There has been an upside to this strike though. I've had extra time to workout, more time to spend talking and being with the boys, and no more pressure to hurry up and get everything done. I simply walk around or right over all the crap laying on the floor.

I hope to God that nobody comes to visit unannounced. Hey, actually that is a pretty good excuse for a dirty house. Maybe I'll just use that one forever since it doesn't look as though the boys are going to kick it into gear and keep the house as clean as I'd like it to be.

Yup, when people visit, I'll just tell them that the house is in shambles because "I'm on Mom strike". Then I'll take them to my room to visit in a clean area of the house.

Sounds like a plan...