Saturday, October 18, 2008

I give up

Here I was trying to make a nice Saturday lunch for a change, and the whole thing went up in smoke.

We're rarely home Saturday afternoons, but my husband had to go in to work today so I thought I'd bake a chicken and some potatoes.

So, I put everything in the oven, fired it up and then went to bed and snuggled up with a good book. Nothing heavy....no ID/evolution, no politics....just a nice romantic love story for a change.

I heard my boys out in the kitchen milling around, and there was a beeping noise that I thought was the microwave being turned on and off.

I WAS WRONG.

About 15 minutes later all the fire detectors in the house started howling. I jumped up out of bed and ran to the oven and the thing was spitting out smoke. The oven door was jammed, or at least I thought it was. I couldn't detect any actual fire, but the smoke was pretty nasty. I was trying to figure out why in the heck I couldn't get the door open, and then it dawned on me what had happened. One of my kiddos must have accidentally turned off the oven and that was the beeping noise I'd heard earlier. They must have tried to reset it, but hit the oven cleaning button. That would have locked down the oven until it cooled down after the heating cycle.

Sigh...

So much for a nice lunch. The house stinks to high heaven and I'm in no mood to start over. I couldn't even if I wanted to because the stove won't unlock for a while yet.

Bologna anyone???

Crap.