Monday, June 30, 2008

Words Kill or they Give Life - You Choose

The message at church yesterday was one of those "in your face" moments for me. I've been quick to lose my temper with my 3 guys lately. There's been a lot of stress over finances due to the fact that our latest spec home is still sitting on the market without any potential buyers. Unfortunately, I seem to be taking out my anxiety on Mr. FtK and the boys.

I have a lot of patience with friends, but when it comes to my family, I often let loose with my words when I'm frustrated. In fact, right before I left for church yesterday, we had quite the family squabble over several issues. I unleashed a string of obscenities (on Sunday morning, no less) and stormed out of the house leaving them all in the wake of my wrath. They were planning to go with me, but I left them at home as I pulled out of the driveway furious and alone.

...and then, BAM!!

Pastor shot me right between the eyes with the message.

The messages for the past several weeks have been based on passages from the book of Proverbs. Wisdom abounds from this particular book in scripture, and the verses addressed today are certainly words to live by.

"Words satisfy the mind as much as fruit does the stomach; good talk is as gratifying as a good harvest. Words kill, words give life; they're either poison or fruit - you choose"

Proverbs 18:20-21


No doubt those of you who have been on the receiving end of my rants in regard to the ID/Evo will recognize this tendency that I have to flip the irate switch when I feel that someone is in the wrong. Thankfully, God graced me with the ability to quickly recover from my anger, but those in the path of my immediate fury are often left lightly singed.

Can you imagine what this world would be like if we were able to keep a better hold on the words that come out of our mouths at times? Words start wars, and we'd all be wise to think before we speak (or type for that matter). Did you know that the book of Proverbs mentions the power of our words 114 times?

I met up with my guys later at the ball field and I pulled my oldest away from the crowd and apologized for the way I had acted earlier in the day because I had been especially nasty with him. I told him how proud I was of him and that I had lost my temper over some relatively insignificant issues. I hope he got the message, but you can't take back those words once they've slipped from your mouth. All you can do is own up to them and try to figure out a way to put out the fire you've started. James 1:19 is another helpful verse in this regard: "My dear brothers, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry".

If you're interested in listening to Pastor's message, hit this link, and in the little green box on the right, click the 6/29 message titled Personal Treasure #5.

I like this verse from Proverbs so much that I'm going to post it on my side bar under moderation policy. Hopefully, it will remind me to shut up and think before I blather on in a fashion that is hurtful to others.

I have no doubt that you will all help keep me in check...