Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Opiate for the Masses!







Sorry, but I can't resist passing this on.







From the article:
As Dinesh D’Souza said about the atheist’s faith in no faith in his new book What’s So Great About Christianity: “Atheism is not primarily an intellectual revolt, it’s a moral one.” God, that’s got to hurt you guys because you pride yourself on being so wise . . . so sophisticated . . . and here he/we are saying that your atheism rises out of hedonism instead of intellectualism. Ouch. Need a bandaid?

Look, I’m not buying that the atheists’ altruistic self-professed pursuit of reason is what undergirds their conclusion that God does not exist; I believe it’s because they want to believe that they’ll never be called into eternal accountability for their temporal actions by a holy God. Talk about an opiate for the masses!

...

• Biologist Stephen Jay Gould: “We may yearn for a higher answer—but none exists. This explanation, though superficially troubling if not terrifying, is ultimately liberating and exhilarating.”

Biologist Julian Huxley, the grandson of Darwin’s buddy and ally Thomas Henry Huxley, put it this way: “The sense of spiritual relief which comes from rejecting the idea of God as a supernatural being is enormous.”

• Julian’s brother Aldous Huxley, not to be outdone by his bro, stated, “I had motives for not wanting the world to have meaning; consequently I assumed that it had none, and was able without any difficulty to find satisfying reasons for this assumption . . . For myself as no doubt for most of my contemporaries, the philosophy of meaninglessness was essentially an instrument of liberation . . . liberation from a certain system of morality. We objected to the morality because it interfered with our sexual freedom.”

Bertrand Russell: “The worst feature of the Christian religion is its attitude toward sex.”

• Christopher Hitchens: “The divorce between the sexual life and fear . . . can now at last be attempted on the sole condition that we banish all religions from the discourse.”

I've heard many atheists in on-line forums mention that they have no interest is following any guidelines set up by our Creator...as if it would put a detrimental halt to their present lifestyle or something.

An atheist friend of my once wrote the following at a militant blogsite:

And even if God were shown to exist, so flipping what? Why would I be obligated to accept his "authority"? By whose authority is God God? Nobody ever answers those questions. Everything that we know about abusive and dysfunctional relationships goes right out the window when we're talking about God. I think it's pathetic for people to get so excited about a pretend "authority" rather than get excited about their own lives and what they can accomplish.

How does one politely say (as I've been tempted to, but never have yet), "But I simply don't want to be anything like you"?

Honestly, I think this is what it boils down to for many atheists. They kick logic out the window, and let themselves become so enchanted with the godless aspect of evolution that they truly believe it relieves them from God's authority.

The really unfortunate part is that His authority is easy to live under. I've found that God's "rules" were presented for a reason. When we live as the Creator intended for us to live, life is much more fulfilling.

But then what do I know...I'm just a "veritable abecedarian simpleton who believes in God and Christ simply because I'm straight goofy." (LOL...read the article)


HT: DaveScot