Monday, April 23, 2007

Spring is in the air

I love this time of year, when we can finally get out and enjoy the nice weather again.

But, every year around this same time, my kids get serious spring fever. They can’t wait for school to end, and they seem to lose all interest in their school work. Spring sports become the focus, and we end up running them all over town all week long.

The utter chaos always brings me back to “the plan”. A long time friend/former roommate and I had an elaborate plan to just throw caution to the wind, quit our jobs, pack up a VW microbus, and tour the US. We’d work odd jobs to pay for gas and food and live the hippy lifestyle for a year.

Of course, being the ultra conservative that I am, "the plan” never transpired. But, whenever things get crazy around here, I think back to the idea of just dumping all responsibility and heading for the hills.

As I dropped off my kids at soccer practice the other day, the urge to get back in the van and keep driving was a tad overwhelming. That’s gotta be a ~sure sign~ of Mommy overload.

I’m thinking my friend of over 25 years would probably still be game to hit the road. But, the problem would be to find the perfect set of wheels...