Thursday, September 28, 2006

Seems there’s always a critic...

A lurker sent me a couple interesting comments the other day. I’m going to refer to the person who sent the e-mail as K.

K. took exception to the following paragraph from this post:

Let me give you the straight scoop here, there is nothing wrong with being an atheist. To each his own, but let’s not try to pretend that those mentioned above and many other scientists have a prior commitment to purely naturalistic evolutionary beginnings, and a strong aversion to anything that might represent the possibility of a Designer. Due to their philosophical outlook, they are not about to let a "Divine Foot in the door".

K. wondered why I used the words, “there is nothing wrong with being an atheist.”

My initial thought, which I threw back immediately, was that I don’t dislike or disassociate with people who don’t believe in God. I’m certainly not an atheist basher!

K. immediately replied that he/she was not either, but that is not what I had said. I had said “there is nothing wrong with being an atheist”.

I thought about that for a minute, and then realized that I should have worded that differently. My personal belief is that, yes, I certainly do disagree with atheism.

People who don’t believe in God, in my mind, are rejecting their own Creator. It would be like my son turning his back on me, and even though I still kept trying to reach him, he would not accept my love and guidance.

But, I don’t believe it is my place to judge an atheist. That is God’s area of expertise. The Bible is clear that we are not to judge those outside of the church:

What business is it of mine to judge those outside the church? Are you not to judge those inside? God will judge those outside. "Expel the wicked man from among you."

That is why I steer clear of that type of thing. I do find myself in passionate discussions at times with ~other Christians~ regarding various issues of biblical interpretation, but I believe that it is always good to discuss our Christian faith and learn from others through dialogue that may sometimes feel a bit uncomfortable.

I have a real problem with various televangelists who are constantly bashing atheists or predicting harm to those who don’t follow God’s word. True, I believe there will be repercussions for those who reject Christ, but that will be determined by the maker Himself, not by some over zealous preacher.

K. also mentioned that I shouldn’t “take the name of the Lord thy God in vain”.

I was like...huh??

K. reminded me that exclamations like “Good Lord” and “holy crap” could certainly be replaced with something more appropriate. K. also wasn’t fond of the word “sucks”.

[sigh...]

My mouth does tend to get me in trouble at times, and K., I promise I’ll try to watch my language. That’s always been a bit of a challenge for me, but you’re absolutely right, and I’ll try to do better.

Oh, and I changed the wording of the questionable sentence as well. Here’s the revision, though I’m still not sure it’s exactly what I’m trying to say:

“I’ve got nothing against humanists or atheists, personally.”

Better now?