Friday, September 29, 2006

Regarding comments

I received another comment. The e-mailer was unclear as to what “TE” meant. I explained it and suggested that perhaps next time they might ask their question in the comment section of the post. The e-mailer said he/she didn’t want to ask a “stupid” question.

There are no “stupid” questions, and if one person wonders what I’m trying to say, I’m sure there are others wondering the same thing. Heck, for that matter, I may not even know what I’m trying to say. So, ask away.

And, if you don’t want anyone to know your name, just hit anonymous or make up a name. I don’t care.

Anyway, TE stands for ~Theistic Evolutionist~.

Some evolutionists believe that the entire universe originally sprang forth from ~nothing~. They do not believe there was a Designer involved, and they believe that everything in the Universe manifested from the same single cell (or whatever).

Theistic evolutionists believe the same thing, except they believe that there was a ~something~ involved (a Designer of sorts) which started the evolutionary process in motion, but that Designer cannot be detected through nature. Most TE’s believe that we can have a relationship with this Designer. Many Christians are TE’s, and most TE’s do not support the Intelligent Design movement.

There are different types of TE’s as well. Deists believe that the universe was started by some type of outside element (a god or whatever), but after the initial creation, He stepped out of the picture, and all that we see evolved on it’s own accord from that point on. The creator does not have further communication with us in any form, and we know nothing of Him/Her/Whatever.

There are other beliefs held by those under the label TE, but that’s a basic explanation.

One other thing about commenting. I am moderating the comments. The reason for that should be obvious, but if not, I’ll give some examples of what I won’t accept in the comment section.

If someone were to post a comment like, say...

Jonathan Wells doesn’t know what he’s talking about”

I’m probably not going to post it, because I have no idea how to respond to that. The conversation that followed would probably look something like this:

“yes, he does.”

“no, he doesn’t.”

“yes, he does.”

“no, he doesn’t.”

etc., etc., etc.

The problem is that neither of us are learning anything, and it only adds to frustration. So, I’ll just bleep those comments off into space.

Also, if you feel it necessary to put me down, or get down right nasty, I’ll again just hit the ‘ol reject button. I’ve only had a couple rejects so far, so I don’t foresee a huge problem.

I like the comments because I don’t learn anything if I just sit here and talk to myself, so feel free. Just be nice please.

Thanks!!!